The Year/Semester Program is an accredited university-level program for undergraduate and graduate students pursuing degrees in environmental or related fields. Over the course of one or two semesters, students engage in an interdisciplinary program built of rigorous courses in diverse environmental fields, a peace-building and leadership seminar, and may choose an independent research project as well as hands-on and field study components.
The Year/Semester program provides students with scientific and technical literacy, public policy fundamentals, and comprehension of philosophical concepts necessary to engage actively and effectively in environmental challenges and objectives. To this end the curriculum is made up of courses in diverse areas such as desert and marine ecology, sustainable agriculture, environmental policy, economics and law, environmental ethics, and social analysis.
The unique learning experience at the Arava Institute provides students with an opportunity to live, study and work with Israelis, Palestinians, Jordanians and other internationals to gain first-hand experience thinking and working in a trans-boundary environment, while developing communication and leadership skills needed for cross-cultural cooperation.
The application procedure for admittance to the Year/Semester Program includes the following components:
- The AIES basic application form completed in full.
- A one page English essay explaining why you are applying to study at the Arava Institute. Indicate your goals in studying at AIES, and how they relate to your personal and professional aspirations.
- The AIES medical form completed and signed from your physician
- One academic reference from a faculty member with whom you have studied in the last year. The academic reference may use our academic reference form or a format of his or her choosing, and must mail the reference directly to the Arava Institute.
- One personal reference from a person familiar with you (excluding relatives). Your reference may use our personal reference form or a format of his or her choosing, and must mail the reference directly to the Arava Institute.
- An official transcript from the university at which you most recently studied.
- USD $50 application fee (100 NIS for Middle Eastern applicants)
- Digital photo
Applicants may be required to attend an interview and complete an English test.
Please mail application materials to:
The Arava Institute for Environmental Studies (AIES)
D.N. Hevel Eilot 88840
- December 15 for Spring Semester
- July 10 for Fall Semester
- We have a rolling admissions policy and complete applications will be reviewed by our Admissions Committee for the upcoming semester.